Tuesday, May 3, 2011

More Crocheted Fleece Baby Blankets

This blanket has a simple dc edge but as you may notice, there's crocheting down the middle.
Unfortunately when I purchased this fleece the piece wasn't wide enough for a baby blanket. So when I went to cut the holes I decided to cut the long piece in half and put holes in all sides of both pieces.  I placed the wrong sides together, sc in the piece closest to me (piece a), instead of putting a ch between each sc I sc in the piece farthest from me (piece b). I sc in the next space on piece (a) and then sc in the next space on piece (b) all the way down the seam. Once I reached the end of the seam I did the basic base stitch (see Fleece Baby Blankets) and the dc all the way around as normal.
This jungle fleece blanket is probably one of my top 3 favorite crochet blankets, along with the next blanket shown here. I think this is a perfect example of how your border can make or break your project and not so much style or stitch, but the choice of yarn. I completely fell in love with this jungle print and put off crocheting the edge because I didn't think I had any yarn that would finish it just right. One day when I was going through my yarn stash (see My "Craft Room" Storage) I found this...
Instantly I thought of my jungle fleece, this will be perfect, this will "make" the blanket, this reminds me of the zebra in the print...I CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED!!!!! So I just put a very simple double crochet around the edge after doing the base stitch.
This has the simplest edge you could imagine...okay maybe not, but what's so great about this edging is that you only have to go around once, that's right it's just the base stitch! I just used Red Heart Baby Clouds for this one so it matches my Baby Hat and Booties that I've made. (Note: I've also made a blue version of this)
I especially like the multi-colored borders on this one, which is as follows:
Rnd 1
Using purple, Base Stitch all the way around
Rnd 2
Sc all the way around, sl st in the 1st st
Rnd 3
Using pink, *ch 2, (dc, sc) in the next st, sl st, repeat from * all the way around

I hope this is helpful and that you enjoy them as much as I do. Again I would love to see your creations

No comments:

Post a Comment